Saturday, February 20, 2010

Follow Friday - 2-19-10

Kevin over at USA Family Tree offers free genealogy lessons.  I have been learning a lot from his lessons.  Today, her told us about a free service to back up your data in the clouds.  I should say when I checked it out, the first 2 GB is free and if you need more storage space than that then it costs a monthly fee.  The free service is called Dropbox  and once you sign up by creating a user name and password you can start saving your data.  It is as easy as drag and drop the file!  You have access to your data on ANY computer that has internet access.  I thought that those of you trying for the medal to back up your data might be interested. 

My local newspaper the Champaign News Gazette has a column that is printed on Fridays called Illinois Ancestors.  The column is written by Joan Griffis.  In today's (Friday, February 19, 2010 page B-6) paper she gave the link to a one page document called the Genealogy Research Process chart.  Joan goes on to explain that it is a "visualization of concepts" based off the book "Evidence Explained:Citing History Sources from Artifacts to Cyberspace" (Baltimore, MD:Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc. 2007)  I printed off a copy to keep with my genealogical records.  Since another medal is to cite your sources, I thought this information would be helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment